Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Pashmina Love


Back in my state of Assam in India, every winter would usher in a group of Kashmiri youth, heaving big white cloth bundles, knocking from door to door. What lies inside the bundles is something hardly any woman can resist. The bundles unfold to present myriad colors of beautiful Kashmiri garments with the most intricate embroideries that the Kashmir valley is famous for. The wares range from the beautiful and elegant Shawls and stoles, salwar kameez set pieces, saris, quilts and blankets of the softest wool, to men's kurta pyajamas, vests - all handcrafted by artisans. Kasmiri garments are a fine specimen of the Pashmina fabric, which is obtained from a special breed of goats, from which the fabric derives its name, domesticated and raised in the Changthang region of Ladakh. Due to their intricate detailing and fine work, they are highly treasured items. The ruddy cheeked men are astute salesmen too, striking up friendships with their customers. One of my uncles has been buying from the same man since the last 15 years. These men from Kashmir are also very charming and good-looking. Hence it is not surprising that I have heard countless stories of young girls losing their hearts to the charms of the Kashmir men and many have even run away with them.  

We have always added to our Kashmir closet every year without fail. Before my wedding, my mother gifted me with three exquisite Pashmina stoles. The one featured below is of those three. My mother herself has a very enviable collection of Kashmiri shawls that I have always fancied. But I cannot carry off Shawls (bigger in size than stoles) like my mother can. Maybe someday I will. As for my fashion icon it has to be my mother who can make any sari she wears a statement. For a long time, I believed like everybody else that she simply has good taste. But down the years, as my insights changed, I saw that it was my mother who would make anything she wore special, even the simple cotton sari. I don't have the same gift. But I do at least try to use good sense to be well-presented when I step out.








Sources: 
Pashmina Scarf: India
Hand cuff, Belt: Delhi street markets
Sweater: Macy's




No comments:

Post a Comment